The Fear

Did you ever see FRIENDS?




I'm a big big fan of the show. It's my default go-to TV show whenever I need a pick-me-up or have nothing better to do. Even when I'm busy with other things, I leave it playing in the background like music. I've seen all 10 seasons and each episode like a million times - I kid you not. Same with "Coming to America"  I can quote the entire movie(ok, maybe 98%) complete with the voices and accents. Ask my friends from High School, they'll tell you I earned the bragging rights!



Back to FRIENDS, there was the scene in Season 3 Episode 10, where Chandler(Matthew Perry) and Joey(Matt Le Blanc) convinced Rachel(Jennifer Aniston) to quit her job at the Central Perk Coffee House so she could get 'the fear'. By their logic, 'the fear' would push her into getting out of her comfort zone, to pursue and secure her dream job of working in Fashion.




I totally relate with the logic, perhaps in a slightly different way from how Joey and Chandler intended. In Rachel's case, the fear of not having a job after quitting Central Perk made her strive harder to get a Fashion job. However, the fear (of the unknown) can also be an obstacle. Before we finally got around to launching this blog, there was the fear - What will people say? How will they react to it? Will there be traffic? What if it doesn't pick up? What if we run out of content? What if? What if? What if?... Same thing for practically every project we ever wanted to undertake - big or small. Even opening a Facebook or Instagram page has the fear factor too. You wonder if you'll have followers, or if your pictures will get liked. You wait, you refresh, you wonder, you refresh again... swear you ain't guilty. Lol!

But at some point, you have to find a way to get past the fear and do what you want. You jump into the deep end, struggle for a bit and hopefully get it right. Even if you don't succeed, you learn some lessons and try again or move on. Otherwise, you'll just never know what might have been and I think that's a really sad way to go through life.
Image result for fear

So, how do you relate with fear? Does it push or hinder you? How do you overcome it? What would you do if you weren't afraid?

Let us know in the comments section and don't forget to drink lots of water.

xoxo...
Girlfriends.


9 comments:

  1. First of all, those bragging rights you claiming belong to me, the No 1 friend's fan. Secondly, when it comea to jobs, I'm never paralysed by fear. I left a high paying job to pursue my dreams. I'm doing exactly what I have always wanted to do though I wish it paid more. But I guess that's the thing about passion, it will pay off in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, those bragging rights you claiming belong to me, the No 1 friend's fan. Secondly, when it comea to jobs, I'm never paralysed by fear. I left a high paying job to pursue my dreams. I'm doing exactly what I have always wanted to do though I wish it paid more. But I guess that's the thing about passion, it will pay off in the long run.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lol! I'm actually claiming bragging rights for 'Coming to America'. Still, I doubt if anyone is more addicted to FRIENDS than I am. Perhaps a dear friend who supplied me a folder of all the FRIENDS seasons/episodes... and recommends most of the TV series I watch.

      Delete
    2. We'll probably have a FRIENDS trivia face-off. Hehehehe. Should be fun!

      Delete
  3. Ok. Stoppit y'all. Teresa has the crown for coming to America. Mbok. She can re-enact lietrally the whole thing! I remember feddy vividly. And yes. I have the fear right now. Hopefully something gives eventually.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! An endorsement.

      Thanks :)

      Please don't let the fear hold you back. Let it push you.

      Delete
  4. Ok, as a class mate from high school, I'll state that you have the bragging right to "coming to America" it amazed me then and I'm still awed by it now when I remember the way you a recite it scene by scene, word for word. As for "the fear" it's real and I've not decided how I'll react to it since I'm just about to take some job threatening decision... "shudders"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! Another endorsement.

      Thanks dear. I hope you end up with the best decision for you...emphasis on 'you'.

      *hugs*

      Delete
  5. Ok, as a class mate from high school, I'll state that you have the bragging right to "coming to America" it amazed me then and I'm still awed by it now when I remember the way you a recite it scene by scene, word for word. As for "the fear" it's real and I've not decided how I'll react to it since I'm just about to take some job threatening decision... "shudders"

    ReplyDelete